Ultrasonic Plastic Materials Welding
Ultrasonic plastic materials welding method is based on the capacity of ultrasounds to heat items in specific spots and in a controlled way. This phenomenom takes place at a physical and chemical level when ultrasonic waves act through mechanical vibration, causing rubbing between the atoms that make up the materials.
Friction generated by such movement produces localized heat and makes plastics fluid, bonding them at a molecular level.
This explains why this method is so effective.
Do you wish a free consultancy from our expert staff? Fill the contact form above.
Benefits of ultrasonic plastic materials welding
- Short application times (takes only a couple tenths of second);
- Immediate results (artifacts can be reused right away);
- Perfect for continuous plastic soldering;
- Low energy consumption;
- Quiet manufacturing process;
- Works on hard to reach parts.
Ultrasonic plastic materials welding: functioning
Ultrasonic vibrations oscillate between 20 and 40 kHz frequencies, made by a generator powered by a standard 50 Hz electric current.
A converter transforms said high frequency vibrations from the generator into mechanical movement comparable to a series of ultra-fast micro hammering motion.
The constant amplitude from the converter is then modified or transferred through the booster, depending on the application requirements.
Lastly, the sonotrode transmits the high frequency vibration energy into the welding surface area.
Under the influence of the applied force, ultrasonic waves are transformed into thermal energy (fusion latent heat) through the friction from the contact of the surfaces and the absorption of said ultrasounds: the plastic materials fuse together on the focused parts during the welding process, forming a nearly homogeneous joint after cooling.
The fused thermoplastics and the resulting connection force can be positively influenced by regulating the amplitude and applied force.
There are several welding systems for plastic materials in the market based on this principle: from compact units to standard machinery and mass production systems that employ the latest technology. This method is fast, efficient and environmentaly friendly since it does not require any adhesives.
Visit our dedicated page and ask for a free consultancy by filling out the contact form.
Further information about ultrasonic plastic materials welding
We offer a vast assortment of product that has consolidated our position as a world market leader.
Visit our YouTube channel to watch Sonic Italia’s multiple applications.
Our company has over 30 years of experience in the production of ultrasound technology, offering its technical staff and laboratory with the purpose of making application analysis direct testing on your samples.
Thanks to a highly qualified staff it is possible to develop technical and dedicated solutions, from standard welding systems to semi or fully automated ones.
Do not hesitate to contact us and make an appointment for a visit by one of our representatives or visit us at our headquarters in Rho (MI).
Fill the contact form above if you wish to recieve free advice from our experts.
- Ultrasonic sewing machinesThis process allows you to seam, cut, slit, trim, tack, emboss, or cut and seal simultaneously.
- Nonwovens seamingSolutions for nonwovens and other synthetic fabrics. Materials can be either 100% acrylics or blends.
- Ultrasonic weldingA widespread technology thanks to the use of plastic in manufacturing.
- Ultrasonic cuttingSonic Italia manufactures state of the art machinery for all industrial needs.
- Manure Belt WelderDiscover more about our manual welder designed for manure and egg conveyor belts.
- Handheld Ultrasonic WelderManeuverable hand held tool for plastics spot welding.